‘Tis the season to overeat and over indulge. Don’t worry, I’ve got your back. Just follow these recommendations to set yourself up for success:
- Eat breakfast. Make it a high-protein, low-carb meal to get you started right, and eat several healthy snacks. But please don’t starve yourself all day in anticipation of the big meal.
- Eat in moderation. Load your plate up with turkey and veggies, leaving just a little room for the starchy sides. Enjoy everything, but keep it to one plate and don’t leave the table stuffed.
- Eat slowly. It takes time for the hormones your stomach releases when you eat to reach your brain, which sends the “full” signal. If you eat too fast, you’ll eat way past that point.
- Wait for dessert. Along the same lines, wait a while before reaching for dessert. You’ll be more aware of just how much – if any – you can handle.
- Watch the alcohol. You don’t have to be a teetotaler, but you these tips can help reduce the empty calories (plus potential headache) too much alcohol can cause:
- For every glass of wine you drink, fill your empty glass with sparkling water twice before reaching for the bottle again.
- Avoid sugar-heavy mixers like fruit juice and soda.
- Plan for the next day. Return to your regular eating pattern. Of course, you can integrate leftovers into your macros (leftover turkey and other proteins plus the veggies). But don’t depend on the leftovers to get you through the weekend. Have meals planned just as you normally would.